Monday, January 7, 2013

an adventure trilogy


One of the books I read over the holiday break was Deadweather and Sunrise by Geoff Rodkey. It was full of pirates and adventure and mystery and treasure!

Deadweather is the story of thirteen year-old Egbert "Egg" Masterson who lives on an awful island, growing awful fruit, with his equally awful father and siblings... that's a lot of awful.

Rick Riordan said of Deadweather :

"The best way I can describe it is Lemony Snicket meets Pirates of the Caribbean, with a sprinkling of Tom Sawyer for good measure."

With the Pirates of the Caribbean in mind, Egg reminded me of a young Will Turner. His partner, Guts, could be a bit Jack Sparrow-ish. And the lovely Millicent Pembroke has all the courage of Elizabeth Swann.

My favorite quotes from the book:
"Of course, I'd eventually learn that the truth is much more complicated - that not everyone who lives on a pretty street is a good person, and that in even the rottenest places you might find someone you can trust with your life."

"No one had ever been nice to me like that before. And I'd long since learned never to cry over pain or cruelty, but I didn't know what to do with kindness. I was pretty sure you weren't supposed to cry about it, but the tears just started leaking out and I didn't know how to stop them."

"Except for Millicent and her mother. They fought constantly, not in the normal way, but in their own odd style - with words that seemed pleasant on the surface, but had ugly meanings stuck to their undersides."

Deadweather and Sunrise is the first book in a new series called The Chronicles of Egg. I can't wait for the next book, New Lands coming out May 14, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment