Monday, August 10, 2015

Call it love; I loved it all.



I read the following on Goodreads about Rebecca Stead's new book, Goodbye Stranger :
Goodbye Stranger by Rebecca Stead has taken what on the surface might look like a fluffy middle school tale of selfies and first loves and turned it into a much more layered discussion of bodies, feminism, the male (and female) gaze, female friendships, relationships, and betrayals.

Yes! That was my thought exactly. I loved the portrayal of feminism. Especially this scene:
Her mom caught Bridge's eyes in the mirror. "Grandma was wrong, Bridge. She was wrong. My body was mine. Your body is yours."
The part about body shaming and the disparity between how boys and girls are treated by adults was brilliantly portrayed.

And the discussion about the "self" raises beautiful points that will leave kids thinking...
 “Is the new you the stranger? Or is the stranger the person you leave behind?” 

I loved this book. I want to make sure that every 13, 14, 15, 16 year-old reads it.

I loved Mr. Partridge and his Talentine show... and being put on this earth for a reason... and Human Rights Club and Tech Crew... and the Moon Landing... and Twinkie promises... and Hermey the Dentist. Call it love; I loved it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment