Monday, September 21, 2015

with words. with truth.

Many high school and college students are reading Between The World And Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates. For an excerpt check out this article in The Atlantic or my post on Samaritan Blog

If you or a student you know has read Between The World And Me and is looking for a like minded book that's an easier read...  or if you have a middle grade reader who is interested in what it means to be black in America, be sure to read X: a Novel by Ilyasah Shabazz. X is a fictionalized account of Malcolm X's youth.





Written by Malcolm X's middle daughter, X is a historical fiction novel that highlights racial injustice. It is a perfectly timed book for young people today. With students' lives overlapping with the racially charged deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri and Eric Garner in New York City, it is the perfect time to take another look at the life of Malcolm X.  This is a brilliant story of the self creation of Malcolm X, and what it means to fight against what is wrong in the world.

"I'm not meant to be part of the things that are wrong with the world, but neither am I meant to run from them. I'm meant to fight against them. I can't hold my own in the ring, but out in the world, I do know how to fight. With words. With truth."



No comments:

Post a Comment