Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Maybe May B. can

I have been on vacation... where I thought I would read a lot... but didn't.


However, one book I read was May B. by Caroline Starr Rose. 
It was a wonderful adventure that will stay with you long after finishing the book!


Mavis Elizabeth Betterly
May Betts
May B.


It's a beautiful novel written in verse (which I love). It's the late 1870's and May Betterly lives on the Kansas prairie, an endless ocean of grassland. She is hired out to help on a neighbor's homestead...


I won't go.

"It's for the best," Ma says,
yanking to braid my hair,
trying to make something of what's left.

Ma and Pa want me to leave 
and live with strangers.

I won't go.

May is resourceful and intelligent and creative, but she struggles with reading. She is determined and committed to read... despite what her teacher has said and done.


 I have a soft spot for books about reading. I loved May's perseverance and her message.


What does it matter,
those things
that
hold me back?

What does it matter 
when I make mistakes?
They don't
make me
who
I
am.

The amazing thing I found about this book was not only did I love May, but I also found a new author to love. Caroline Starr Rose appears to be a superhero and I think she and I should be friends.
:)

In the book's Dedication she writes:

For my students in New Mexico, Florida, Virginia, and Louisiana: There are a few of you whose needs I didn't fully understand and others I could have done better by.
This story is for you.

And in the book's Acknowledgments she ends with...

And finally, my deepest gratitude to the One who binds up the brokenhearted and who extends dignity and compassion to the forgotten.

If you want to fall in love with Caroline too, you can find her at carolinestarrrose.com


No comments:

Post a Comment