Thursday, February 16, 2012

an absolute must...



I've posted a few times about the book, Wonder by R.J. Palacio. I was so excited about what I had seen & heard. It was released on Tuesday and I finished reading it today.


Let me just say, it did not disappoint. I loved it. I want everyone to read it. I especially want absolutely every fifth and sixth grader to read it.


It's sad and funny and inspiring and infuriating and eye opening and wonderful.


The story is told brilliantly through six different character perspectives. 


I love the underlying theme that in kindness lies the order of the universe.


As in this quote from the book:


“…no, no, it’s not all random, if it really was all random, the universe would abandon us completely and the universe doesn’t. it takes care of its most fragile creations in ways we can’t see. like with parents who adore you blindly. and a big sister who feels guilty for being human over you… maybe it is a lottery, but the universe makes it all even out in the end. the universe takes care of all its birds.”


It reminded me of a quote I heard recently on a TED talk:


"Not a sparrow falls, without his maker knowing."


I loved August; I loved Via; I loved Jack. I loved Mr. Tushman's middle school Director's Address. I loved Mr. Browne's Precepts. Daisy broke my heart open and Summer was my hero.


Run out and get this book... not just for yourself, but for every 11 to 13 year old you know.


ps- once you read the book, check out these annotations.

No comments:

Post a Comment